SUPER EASY Coconut Flan!
For the Caramel
- 3/4 Cup of Vegan Sugar (I use Zulka, Morena Pure Cane Sugar)
For the Flan
- 2 Cans of Coconut Milk (Canned, I used Thai kitchen and Albertsons brand)
- 1 Can of Sweetened Coconut Condensed Milk (I found my can at Whole Foods, brand is called Natures Charm)
- 1/2 Tsp Agar Agar Powder. If you are sing Agar Flakes use 1-2 TBS (I used 2 TBS to ensure flan would hold together and set). I also used Eden brand.
- Vanilla Extract (preferably Mexican vanilla, but regular vanilla extract works too)
- 1/4 Tsp of Sea Salt
Cooking the Caramel
- Have your flan dish/container ready on the side so once caramel is cooked you can instantly put into the dish. I used a 7 Cup, Pyrex bowl as a dish, nothing fancy.
- Add your Vegan sugar to a small pot, melt and stir on medium heat until sugar liquifies and is dark amber colored. (PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH/TASTE THE CARAMEL AT BOILING POINT! IT IS EXTREMELY HOT and will burn your skin).
- Once Sugar has liquified into caramel, pour the caramel into the flan dish, swish it around once or twice so it sets around the dish, and set aside to cool .
***Please note it is normal for the caramel to harden. The caramel will liquify when you our the hot coconut/flan mixture on top, therefore leaving that lovely sweet "flan sauce".
***DO NOT ADD WATER
For the Coconut Flan
- In a large bowl add all flan ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Add flan mixture to a pot and bring to a boil on medium high heat. Keep whisking mixture and be sure not to over boil or mixture could boil over out of the pot.
- Boil and whisk for about 5 minutes until agar powder has disintegrated. If you are using agar flakes (which I did) you are going to want to boil longer and whisk thoroughly. Roughy 10 min on medium, until agar flakes have disintegrated. You will know mixture is combined properly if you take a wooden spoon and scrape the bottom. If flakes have disintegrated you will not see any gel like residue leftover on your spoon.
- Once Mixture is thoroughly combined, pour over top of caramel and allow to cool for about 10 min at room temperature before refrigerating.
- Refrigerate flan mixture for 5-6 hours until flan has firmed and bounces back when you press the top. If you'd like to test before flipping, use a toothpick and push down center. Toothpick should come out clean.
- Loosen edges by flipping over on a plate larger than flan dish, wiggle, tap top and voilà!
Cut, Serve and most of all Enjoy!